(September 2023) Top 20+ Card Machine Providers For Small Businesses. Find and Compare the Best UK Card Payment Machine Providers.
As a business owner, you understand the importance of offering your customers a convenient payment method. Card machines have become an essential tool for businesses of all sizes, allowing them to accept credit and debit card payments with ease. Choosing the right card machine provider is crucial to ensure a smooth payment experience for your customers and seamless integration with your business operations. In this article, we will explore the top card machine providers to help you make an informed decision.
Why You Need a Card Machine for Your Business
Gone are the days when cash was king. With the rise of digital payments, card machines have become a necessity for businesses that want to keep up with the times. Card machines allow you to accept payments from customers using credit and debit cards, making it easier for them to make purchases and for you to process payments.
Not only do card machines offer convenience, but they also improve the security of your transactions. With the ability to process payments securely and efficiently, card machines help to minimize the risk of fraud and errors that can occur with traditional payment methods. Plus, the integration of card machines with other payment systems such as online payment gateways and accounting software can help streamline your business operations and save you time and money.
Each of our card machine providers has its pros and cons. Depending on your business needs, size, and volume of transactions, one provider may suit you vs. others. Let’s go ahead and look at the top UK card machine providers below.
Our Top UK Card Machine Providers
Worldpay sits at the pinnacle of our list of card machine providers, and for good reasons. As Europe’s premier merchant account provider, they have carved a niche for themselves by consistently catering to businesses with an array of card payment solutions tailored to diverse needs. Worldpay’s financial structure is attuned to the needs of different enterprises. While costs are contingent on specific business requirements, the absence of a joining fee and their transparent pricing policy make the financial aspects straightforward once engaged with their team. Their reputation speaks for itself – with a staggering client base of over 3 million businesses in the UK, trust in Worldpay is palpable.
In an era where seamless digital access is paramount, Worldpay’s online dashboard stands out. It not only offers round-the-clock support but also ensures businesses have real-time access to their accounts and transactional data, facilitating informed decision-making. But Worldpay’s influence isn’t restricted to the UK or Europe; they have a global footprint, processing payments across a whopping 116 countries. Security remains a cornerstone of their operations, underscored by their PCI DSS compliance, ensuring that sensitive data remains protected. Furthermore, businesses have the opportunity to elevate their operations by negotiating for an intuitive point-of-sale system to be incorporated into their merchant account package, streamlining the payment process even further.
Sagepay, a leading name in the realm of card machine providers, enjoys considerable popularity in the UK market, thanks in part to its transparent and competitive rate structure. With Sagepay, merchants are provided with a clear fee layout: credit card transactions are subject to a 2.5% fee, while debit card transactions come at a minimal charge of 40p per transaction. One of the main selling points of Sagepay is its transparency, ensuring that clients face no hidden fees that could dent their finances.
Diversity in payment options is another facet of Sagepay that appeals to businesses. Whether it’s processing payments face-to-face in a brick-and-mortar store, over the phone for remote sales, or online to cater to the e-commerce market, Sagepay offers solutions that suit a variety of transaction contexts. Merchants can rest easy knowing that Sagepay’s card terminals adhere to the stringent standards of PCI DSS, ensuring that customer data is handled with the utmost security.
Furthermore, in today’s fast-paced business world, quick access to funds is crucial for maintaining cash flow, and Sagepay understands this. They ensure that payments accepted are securely transferred to the merchant’s account within a short span of just two days, aiding in smoother financial operations.
PaymentSense has carved a significant niche for itself within the UK’s payments landscape, proudly serving a robust clientele of 50,000 businesses. What sets them apart in the saturated market is their unique proposition of offering capped rates, which are not only affordable but also a rarity among UK card machine providers. This transparent pricing structure means that businesses can anticipate their costs without fear of hidden fees or sudden rate hikes.
Applying for their services is a breeze; businesses can initiate the process either online or over a phone call. Impressively, once the application is greenlit, a company can expect to have their card machine delivered to them in a swift timeframe of just three days. Such efficiency underscores PaymentSense’s commitment to timely service.
However, it’s not just about quick delivery or transparent rates. PaymentSense offers a comprehensive suite of online tools designed to streamline and safeguard businesses’ payment processes. These include functionalities for fraud screening – a crucial feature in today’s digital era – as well as tools for managing invoices and generating insightful reports.
Furthermore, their customer-centric approach is evident in their round-the-clock customer support, available 24/7 to all UK clients. Such unwavering dedication to customer service has undoubtedly played a pivotal role in cementing their reputation as a reliable card machine provider.
When it comes to pricing, PaymentSense maintains its commitment to affordability. Their packages are thoughtfully structured to cater to varying business needs. The starting package is priced at a modest £8.50 per month, while businesses seeking more advanced features can opt for the pro package at £16.60 per month.
PayPal, a name synonymous with online transactions, stands out prominently among card machine providers. Widely recognized and favored, especially among budding small businesses, it offers an ideal gateway for those eager to commence online payment processing. Ease of set-up is one of its standout features, ensuring even the most novice of entrepreneurs can integrate it without hassle. Furthermore, its competitive transaction fees, which can dip as low as £1.9%, make it an attractive choice for those mindful of operating costs.
But PayPal’s prowess extends beyond mere online transactions. Its vast global reach allows it to accommodate payments in a whopping 25 different currencies, making it an excellent choice for businesses with an international clientele. Moreover, it boasts seamless integration capabilities with several leading eCommerce platforms, including Shopify, PrestaShop, Magento, and WooCommerce. This interoperability ensures businesses have flexibility and fluidity in their online operations.
Branching out from its traditional online domain, PayPal has introduced “Paypal Here,” its innovative mobile credit card machine. This nifty device empowers businesses with the ability to process card payments on-the-go, requiring just an internet or 3G connection. Whether you’re at a trade show, pop-up event, or simply on the move, with PayPal Here, businesses are no longer tethered to a physical location to complete transactions. This move underscores PayPal’s commitment to enhancing flexibility and convenience for its vast user base.
For small businesses wary of lengthy commitments and hidden fees, Takepayments emerges as an optimal choice. Renowned as a premier card machine provider in the UK, Takepayments prides itself on its flexible 12-month contracts, ensuring businesses aren’t bogged down by long-term obligations. Whether you’re a brick-and-mortar store in need of a countertop solution, a mobile business seeking on-the-go payment options, or an e-commerce platform requiring online payment gateways, they’ve got you covered. With their capabilities, processing card transactions in person, telephonically, or online becomes a breeze.
Understanding the fast-paced nature of commerce, Takepayments offers rapid setup for merchant accounts, ensuring businesses are ready to transact in mere minutes. Moreover, their commitment to customer satisfaction is evident in their swift response to issues; should a card machine falter, a replacement is promptly shipped out, ensuring minimal disruptions. Their support system goes beyond mere remote assistance. Distinctively, they’re among the few UK card machine providers boasting local personnel. This means, if problems arise, a knowledgeable representative can make a direct visit, ensuring any issues are swiftly and efficiently resolved. This level of hands-on service sets Takepayments apart in the crowded landscape of payment solution providers.
First Data Merchant Account
First Data, a stalwart in the UK’s card acceptance and processing sector, boasts two decades of unparalleled experience and expertise. Over these years, they’ve meticulously curated a vast array of merchant services to suit diverse business needs. Their offerings span from countertop solutions for brick-and-mortar retailers to mobile and portable options for businesses on the move. For those delving into the digital realm, First Data facilitates online payment solutions and even brings the convenience of contactless card machine transactions to the table.
But their services don’t stop at mere transaction processing. First Data goes a step further by assisting businesses in seamlessly integrating payment terminals, be it on their digital storefronts or within their physical premises. They’ve adopted a transparent pricing model, wherein they charge a modest monthly fee of £15, catering to businesses processing up to 500 transactions. This structured pricing underscores their commitment to providing cost-effective solutions without compromising on quality or efficiency.
Global Payments, headquartered in America, has made significant strides in the UK’s payment landscape, bolstered by its strategic UK office located in Leicester. Their market presence has been notably prominent, commanding an impressive 20% share since their astute acquisition of HSBC merchant services in 2009.
Offering a comprehensive suite of payment solutions, Global Payments facilitates both in-person and online transactions, ensuring businesses have a versatile platform for all their payment needs. Compatibility is at the forefront of their services, with support for all major credit and debit cards, thereby providing an inclusive transactional environment. One of their standout features is their flexible pricing structure coupled with expedited card processing solutions, ensuring transactions are both cost-effective and swift. While their website remains discreet regarding specific fee structures, potential clients or those curious about pricing details can directly reach out to Global Payments for a more in-depth discussion.
Lloyds Bank Cardnet
Established in 2009, Card Cutters has carved a niche in the financial tech landscape by offering robust card payment solutions, and today, they serve a vast clientele of over 7,000 merchants spanning the UK and Ireland. Their reputation in the market is anchored in simplicity and reliability. Whether a business is interacting with Card Cutters directly or through their equally reputable sister company, Global Card Solutions, the process of procuring a PDQ machine is designed to be hassle-free. Recognizing the diverse needs of the business landscape, Card Cutters ensures that both budding enterprises and established larger entities can find a payment solution tailored to their scale and requirements. At the heart of their offerings is a commitment to reliability and efficiency, ensuring that every transaction, big or small, is handled with utmost precision, making them a preferred choice for many businesses in the region.
If you are looking for a more compact, alternative payment solution, check our article on the top mobile card reader providers.
16. iZettle, now known as Zettle by PayPal, is a financial technology company that originated in Stockholm, Sweden. Renowned for its innovative point-of-sale solutions, iZettle transformed the payment industry by introducing a mobile card reader that allowed small businesses to accept card payments using smartphones or tablets. This levelled the playing field, particularly for smaller merchants, by offering a cost-effective, user-friendly, and versatile payment solution without the need for expensive traditional setups. The company has since expanded its services, providing tools for inventory management, sales analytics, and invoicing. In 2018, iZettle was acquired by PayPal, further cementing its position as a leader in the world of mobile commerce
17.SumUp is a leading global financial technology company that provides businesses of all sizes with an efficient means to process card payments. Originating in Europe, SumUp has rapidly expanded its reach and now operates in multiple countries across the globe. At the heart of its product line is the SumUp card reader, a compact device that enables merchants to accept both chip-and-PIN and contactless payments through smartphones or tablets. This simple-to-use and affordable solution has democratized card processing, particularly for small to medium-sized businesses that might find traditional payment systems cost-prohibitive. Beyond the card reader, SumUp also offers features such as invoicing, third-party integrations, and e-commerce capabilities, catering to the diverse needs of modern businesses.
18. PayPal Here is PayPal’s answer to the increasing demand for on-the-go payment solutions, especially tailored for small businesses. One of its main advantages is immediate brand recognition; PayPal is a well-established name in the digital payment sector, and customers often trust it for its security and reliability. For small businesses, this translates to an added layer of trust in their transactions. The system is designed to be user-friendly, requiring just the card reader and a mobile device to process payments. Integration with the existing PayPal account facilitates quick access to funds, reducing the waiting times often associated with other payment platforms. Additionally, PayPal Here provides a flexible fee structure, ensuring businesses only pay per transaction with no long-term commitments or monthly fees. The platform also supports a diverse range of payment methods, from credit and debit cards to contactless and QR code payments. By combining ease of use, brand trust, and cost-efficiency, PayPal Here offers small businesses an effective tool to expand their payment options and enhance the customer experience.”
19. Square, a brainchild of Jack Dorsey, who is also renowned for co-founding the social media giant Twitter, revolutionized the payment industry with its innovative card reader solutions. Tailored specifically for small businesses, Square’s offerings democratized the ability for these enterprises to accept card payments without the burden of traditional, expensive systems. Its sleek, user-friendly design combined with an intuitive app interface ensures seamless transactions, while the transparent pricing model eliminates hidden costs, making it a favorite among budding entrepreneurs. Furthermore, Square has expanded beyond just card readers, providing a holistic ecosystem that includes point-of-sale software, analytics, and online payment capabilities, positioning itself as an essential tool for small business growth and financial management.
20. Worldpay Card Reader, presented by the UK’s most prominent merchant account provider, has emerged as an indispensable tool for small businesses keen on streamlining their payment processes. With the rise of cashless transactions, having a reliable and efficient card reader has become a business imperative. Worldpay, with its vast experience and reputation in the payment industry, brings forth a solution that melds simplicity with functionality. Small businesses, ranging from independent cafes to local boutiques, have found that the Worldpay Card Reader not only facilitates smooth transactions but also instills a sense of trust among customers due to its association with a renowned brand. Numerous companies across the UK have integrated Worldpay into their operations and have witnessed enhanced customer experiences, quicker checkouts, and in many cases, increased sales, testifying to the tangible benefits it brings to the table.
21.UTP Merchant Services stands out in the crowded payment solutions market with its comprehensive array of card machines and online gateway solutions tailored to meet the diverse needs of modern businesses. Whether it’s a bustling retail outlet, a cozy pub, or an e-commerce store, UTP’s versatile offerings ensure seamless, efficient transactions. What sets UTP apart isn’t just their top-of-the-line technology, but also their commitment to customer excellence. Their competitive pricing ensures businesses, big or small, can find a solution that fits their budget, while the dedicated customer support is always at the ready to assist, advise, and ensure operations run smoothly. It’s this combination of cutting-edge technology and an unwavering focus on client satisfaction that has garnered UTP the trust of a myriad of businesses, from high-street retailers to corner bars.
22. Dojo brings to the market their swift and dependable Dojo Go card machine, designed to redefine the payment experience for businesses. Beyond just a card processing tool, this device embodies efficiency and simplicity, enabling businesses to effortlessly handle transactions. But what truly amplifies Dojo’s offering is the seamless integration of the card machine with the Dojo App. This pairing not only simplifies the payment process but also offers businesses an intuitive interface to track transactions, analyze sales data, and manage their finances on-the-go. In essence, Dojo transforms the conventional act of accepting payments into a streamlined art, making it a coveted choice for businesses that value both functionality and user-friendliness.
23.Poynt – The Poynt card machine is a cutting-edge point-of-sale system renowned for its sleek design and multifunctional capabilities. It caters to various payment methods including chip and PIN, magstripe, and contactless options, ensuring versatility in customer transactions. Equipped with features like Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity, a built-in printer, and barcode scanning, it seamlessly integrates with different business software for efficient sales, inventory, and customer data management. Ideal for both stationary and mobile businesses, Poynt stands out for its user-friendly interface, portability, and robust customer support, making it a popular choice among small to medium-sized businesses seeking a modern and reliable POS solution.
Conclusion: Choose the Right Card Machine Provider to Streamline Your Business Operations
So there you have it. We have given you 20 different card machine providers that you can use to start accepting card payments.
In conclusion, choosing the right card machine provider is crucial for any business that wants to streamline its payment process, enhance customer experience, and increase security. The five providers we have discussed in this blog post, SumUp, iZettle, Square, PayPal Here, and Worldpay, are all reliable and trusted providers that offer a range of features to meet the needs of different businesses.
When making a decision, consider factors such as transaction fees, device cost, ease of use, and compatibility with your other payment systems. By doing your research and selecting the right provider, you can ensure that your customers have a smooth and hassle-free payment experience, while also improving the efficiency of your business operations. With the right card machine provider, you can focus on growing your business while leaving the payment processing to the experts.
Related Card Processing Articles